Monday, March 3, 2014

IS: Animation Outline

Summary:
As a lover of Disney, understanding animation is a must. When my family traveled to Walt Disney World some time back, we took a tour of the offices of animators. I clearly remember the one office which had a character drawing on the desk, that same character molded in clay, and a 3-D grid like image of that character on the computer screen. As a traditional artist, that scared the hell out of me! There was so much to do and understand that I couldn’t even consider going to college for animation, at that time. Now that time has passed and I can see the big picture more clearly, and I run to the challenge. I feel incomplete for not jumping on board to learn animation earlier.
Goals:
1)      I have an understanding that there are a few paths a person in the field could go; traditional- digital-subcategories- etc. I would like to touch base on what categories are out there and what I would need to know to get to a desired role. I am a traditional type of art person, but need to establish a digital connection.
2)      I need to learn the basics. This includes understanding the basic principles, the terminology, the techniques, learn the lingo, the programs, brainstorming, trial and error, failing, and how to begin a project. 
3)      I hope to learn/ understand character design.
4)      Understand how a sequence of drawings can become a moving picture
5)       And how to pull it all together.
Outline:
       I: Animation and Animation types
       II: Traditional Animation- Disney
       III: Computer Role in Animation
       IV: Computer Animation Techniques
-     2D vs 3D
-     Object modules
-     Motion modules

Timeline:
Week 1 &2: Learn Fundamental Vocabulary. Put research into a Word document to make a folder to reference back to in the future.  
Week 3&4: Discover types of animation. Put research into a Word document.
Week 5&6: Learn basics of traditional animation and character design. Put research into a Word document. Create an original character.
Week 7&8: Learn about computer animation. Put research into a Word document.
Week 9&10: Research and play around in one animation program
Week 11-13: Attempt a basic and simple animation with character created in week 5/6.

Week 14&15: Create a final folder with all of the information I gathered throughout the semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment